2009. december 26., szombat

Meetings, snow and Christmas

2009. december 26., szombat



People should be careful with their wishes and desires. For instance, in my last blog post, I wrote something like „I wish there was a bigger snow here” – and finally, I got it. In Hungary, we don’t have typhoons, earthquakes or tsunamis; instead, we have river floods (洪水), extremely hot weathers in summer, and snowstorms. Two or three days before Christmas, when I went to Budapest downtown to meet with my friends, we got such a big snow that the whole city stood still for a while ^^” and the temperature went down from minus 8 degrees to minus 15. O_o (And by the way, weather is changeable here, 人間の心のように. After some cold days, it becomes 10-15 degrees, and now there is no snow anymore… X_x) But finally, I could meet with my friend and we went to another friend’s place by subway.


Usually, we hold these „Pre-Christmas parties” in my apartment, which is very close to the School of Law of my former university, but as it is not available now (it is not a rent, but my family actually bought me one, and it is lent as far as I study and/or work in Japan, which means a stabile monthly amount of money for my parents :)), so we hold in a suburb place. As for my friends in this party, they are all from my high school class – it can be strange, but we are very close even after so long years – quite interestingly, I couldn’t find such close friends in my former university, although, I made lots of friends in orchestras, musical courses, hobbies etc, but not in the university. That was a good place to study (and to feel the pressure always -.-), but not the best for social life. ^^” Anyway, in this party, we were really happy to meet each other – Böbe told us „Hey guys, do you read Peter’s blog? It’s better then Melrose Place” XDDD and asked me: „When will you invite Mari to introduce us?” I said „Eeee…What?” Then she: „You know, the Japanese girl you are always mentioning in your writings” and I said: „Oh well… once, perhaps.” :DDD (Who knows… perhaps, if she’d be able to learn the name of my country first. Come on, it’s not so hard, I have lots of friends in Japan who managed to do this… :P) (EDIT.: OK, she also managed to... ^^)


In this occasion, we drunk mulled wine again, which is a very simple but delicious drink, I already introduced it to Ninjin, Takumi, Kong-san and Faisal, and of course to Paul, but obviously, he doesn’t like it, it’s too sweet for him… :(




On Sunday, we went to the National Theater to watch an operetta called „János Vitéz” (I think I can translate it „英雄のヤーノシュ”) which is based on the poem of one of the most famous Hungarian poets, Petőfi Sándor (ペトーフィ・シャーンドル, 裴多菲·山多爾), who is well-known even among Chinese students, famous for this: „生命誠可貴,愛情價更高,若為自由故,兩者皆可拋”. I heard that this verse was often quoted in China, and it’s a great experience to hear from Paul that it was truth. ^^ But anyway, as this “János Vitéz” of him is turned into a musical (the genre called „operetta”, different from „opera”, is the predecessor of musical, as there are songs and dialogues in prose), it is very different from the original, and somehow „cheesy” (or, using another interesting vocabulary, “hokum”) – but finally, the inventious director made it unexpectedly dramatic! And anyway, I’ve never been in the National Theater before – I used to go to the Palace of Arts, which is close to the theater, and it is mainly used to hold concerts. It is really natsukashii to see that building – there, students (with student ID) can attend concerts for a price about 100 yen :))) so I and my friends were reeeallly frequent visitors. ^^ I wonder whether I could use my Japanese student ID card there… :P




Aa, and I didn’t mention that I met ジュジ…!!! I guess she doesn’t believe that I'd missed her, but actually, I did. ^^” OK, we are not 彼と彼女 anymore, and the possibility of being in that state is not very high in these years, but we are still very close friends and I like her a lot, so it is great to meet again. (And of course, I’m always trying to convince her to come to Japan to study… :P It would be nice!)


On Tuesday, I met Patrik, also one of my best friends, who is a composer, he creates really good music, sometimes with a religious content. He had a concert from his own works in the beginning of December in the Palace of Arts – it’s too bad that I missed… but if I’ve been here at that time, I would’ve introduced his works there… :) Let me show you one of his choral works, called „Tenebrae factae sunt” (in Latin, it means „And darkness cometh…”). Originally, it is written not only for choir, but for drums and cymbals (or tam-tam, actually) too, but unfortunately, these were omitted here:





And the greatest joke of these days: when we spoke about our plans for future, Patrik told me that he decided to become a priest!!! Let me repeat: not a conductor, not a composer, not even any kind of musician, but a priest! O_o … well OK, I am also a believer (or I should rather quote the famous psychologist Karl Gustav Jung’s saying: “I don’t have to believe. I know God.” :D), but it was a really big surprise for me – this kind of decision is quite rare nowadays, 99% of the people I know would never do that. He said the only thing which is more important for him than music, is religion. In this state, all I can do is to wish the best for him. ^^



Christmas Eve! Now its ornaments (pine trees, lights, reindeers, etc) are used all over the world, but without knowing the meaning of Christmas, it’s like eating soumen in Tanabata (July the 7th) without any knowledge about the story of Hikoboshi and Orihime. I think you understand what I mean. ^^” That’s a point I don’t really like in Japan – Christmas is so un-related, not-fit to this country, but still, they use every Christmas features they see from Americans. That’s why I’m really happy to come home for these days. (Oh, but I don’t want to write about the „meaning” of Christmas now... I just refer the fact that Japanese don’t have any Christian tradition, so their Christmas is also without any tradition or deeper understanding, which is a kind of “requirement” of an important feast, in my view).


Anyway, it is not important in my family to give expensive gifts and presents to each other. It is much more important to be together and enjoy this special day with each other. In the case of Japanese festivals, there are some meals everyone eats, but in Hungarian feasts, these are different according to families. For instance, in Christmas day, we eat this for lunch (sorry, I don’t know its English name and I’m too lazy to check it in a dictionary…):



And in the evening, we gather, sing Christmas songs, give presents to each other, and have a dinner together (in my family, it’s fish soup, always ^^). This year, it was the first Christmas of the son of my cousin, Akos (yup, the same name with my Hungarian friend in Nagoya ^^)! He is soooo cute! ^o^




0 megjegyzés:

Megjegyzés küldése